This year marks the beginning of the fund-raising campaign to re-slate our church roof and so equip St John's to serve the parish for another 150 years. As we do this, we also plan to insulate the roof space as part of our ongoing commitment to the environment.
Please support the roof appeal in prayer. Without prayer, this campaign will not succeed. We are not like any other institution in many ways, but the key one is that we are privileged to approach God direct for the things we need. So please pray for our roof, the life and mission of the church, and the people of Menston as part of your commitment to being part of the church community.
Why the need ?
The main part of the roof dates back to 1871 and the side-aisle roof was added in 1886. The structure has lasted very well, but over recent years has begun to show its age.
Some slates are splitting, the nails are corroding and slate slippage is becoming an increasing problem, only evident when we get drips and damp patches on the inside. When the lead sheeting in the roof valley was stolen in 1990 it was replaced by a material which, while less valuable on the black market, has proved to be less durable. In addition, some of the gutters and downpipes are cracked, allowing water to run down the exterior walls. These recurring events are not good for the fabric of the building.
The church architects have drawn attention to the deteriorating condition of the roof over the last 10 years and replacement of individual slates has been a regular requirement.
The church architects now feel that a full replacement of most of the roof covering is urgently needed if irreparable damage to the fabric of the building is to be avoided. In addition, it will provide an opportunity to improve our ecocredentials by adding insulation to the roof space and reducing our heating bill.
How much will it cost?
We have an estimate of £102,000 for the required replacement of the roof slates, roof-space insulation and refurbishment of gutters and downpipes.
How do we intend to pay for it ?
- Fabric Fund - We have been building up this fund over the years, knowing that roof repairs would become necessary, but we do not currently have sufficient to fund such a major project.
- Applications to Charitable Funding Bodies - We are applying for grants from agencies that aim to preserve and refurbish church buildings.
- An appeal to the congregation - The church community are responding to an appeal for funds.
- Fundraising events - We have many events in the pipeline to raise money! Keep an eye out on the news page/parish notes for information about upcoming events. If you have any ideas of your own for fundraising events - please get in touch!
What can I do ?
Make a donation to the Church Roof Appeal,
- By BACS: to Menston PCC
Sort code: 40-22-28
Acc. No: 40572640
- By cash/cheque: payable to Menston PCC via church office.
- On-line via this link
- By text - text CHURCHROOF 10 to 70450 to donate £10 (or any whole number up to 20). You will be billed the donation amount plus your standard network rate by your mobile service provider.
Please consider gift aiding your donation if you are a taxpayer. Gift Aid declaration forms available from